Monday 4 March 2019

The three sisters who became literary giants

The Three Sisters who became Literary Giants 

This is a talk that I gave on the three Bronte sisters, Charlotte, Emily and Anne. 

Left to Right: Anne, Emily and Charlotte Bronte


It was broadcast on the Overnights program on RN on the ABC on Tuesday 26th February 2019.

 To listen to the recording of the talk, you can go to:

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/overnights/the-bronte-sisters/10850774

 or look for "The three sisters who became literary giants" via the ABC Listen App. 

Here is the poem by Emily Bronte which I used to close the talk by reading the last verse.



Riches I hold in light esteem
And Love I laugh to scorn
And lust of Fame was but a dream
That vanished with the morn–

And if I pray, the only prayer
That moves my lips for me
Is–"Leave the heart that now I bear
And give me liberty."

Yes, as my swift days near their goal
'Tis all that I implore
Through life and death, a chainless soul
With courage to endure!

Emily Bronte March 1, 1841

 Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment